25 December 2005

A quiet little Christmas

Christmas Day is winding down. The dinner plates are stacked by the sink to be washed. The presents are all opened and gradually moving from under the tree. What was a sunny and relatively warm day has turned to a fairly heavy night rain.

It's been a perfectly relaxing Christmas. I needed this so much, and despite "entertaining" for most of the day, I just feel comfortable and relaxed.

Erich's dad came around 10 a.m. We opened presents over coffee. I was thrilled with everything I received (yay money! yay new iPod!). If they were close enough, the cats were stuck with the bows from presents. We chuckled as we watched them try to figure how to remove them (they did successfully). Breakfast was fried eggs and some of the home-made venison scrapple that Mom and Jim brought early this month.

We watched A Christmas Story, then Serenity, and then most of the Green Bay vs. Chicago game. No stress, no real time table-- we just relaxed and hung out. Around 3:30, Erich called our friend Purkis to see what he was up to and invited him over for dinner and possible late night World of Warcraft goodness. He accepted and showed up about 45 minutes later.

Dinner was great-- cranberry stuffed pork roast with mashed potatoes, rolls, and steamed artichokes. I hadn't had artichokes in so long-- it used to be a common dinner treat growing up. I'm glad I managed to steam them correctly.

Erich's dad left about an hour ago. The guys are hanging out in front of the TV as they play WOW (geeks!). I'll probably do a little stitching and play some Sims before I head to bed. I'm sure the guys will crank a late night of WOW, which is fine... we're not going anywhere tomorrow.

I did miss going to my mom's this year, but it's always crazy and there are so many people. I enjoyed the quiet holiday this year. I definitely needed it.

Hope everyone else had a nice Christmas!

Best,
Mel.

No comments: