07 December 2005

Holidailies commences

It's December 7th, which this year marks the beginning of the Holidailies season. There might be some strange entry writing here, but I'll be forcing myself to write every day... hopefully multiple times every day... for the next month. :)

Since it is the beginning of Holidailies, and I've also met several new people online in the past several months, I'll start this year's challenge by simply reintroducing myself. Whatever bio is linked to my journal probably hasn't been updated for years at this point, and well... it's been a life-changing year.

Those who know me, stop snorting due to obvious-ness of that statement.


Anyway... hi, how are ya? :) My name's Melissa. I normally go by Mel, or by my childhood nickname-turned-online handle, Measi. I'm 30. I’ve been blogging online for just shy of five years now, and I literally write about everything and anything here—so if you pop by every day, you’ll find completely random topics to read about.

I'm engaged to a wonderful man named Erich. We're coming up on a year of engagement next month and are just starting the wedding plans. (we're shooting for next October, but we haven't finalized a date yet). Erich and I bought our first house this year, moved in at the end of June, and now are adjusting to life as homeowners , long distance commuters, and that odd sense of settling down into that life that we saw our parents living, but didn't think we'd ever quite reach.

We live in Providence, Rhode Island, having escaped Massachusetts and the frightening housing market that exists there. Rhode Island, being the smallest state in the United States, also has the longest official name: State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations. I have not yet seen any evidence of plantations in Providence. Perhaps, though, my idea of great southern mansions isn’t quite what they mean by “plantation.” In any case, I like it here. It’s a very small state—only a bit more than 30 by 40 miles. But because of its location, it’s a huge melting pot of generations, cultures, and economic classes. Diversity is good. Erich and I both still commute to our jobs in Boston, however, so in many ways, we still haven’t left Massachusetts.

We're owned by five... yes, five... cats. Numbers four and five joined us this past September, and we recognize that we’ve finally reached official “Crazy Cat People” status. You’ll see entries about them throughout the month, but to sum up, we have Colley, Fizzy, Gus, Noby, and Elly.

My hobbies include writing (blogging, stories, penpal letters, etc.), reading, cross-stitch, computer games, and movies. Both Erich and I are bonafide geeks—we play Dungeons & Dragons every month. We go to Renaissance Fairs in period garb. Occasionally, we hit the fandom convention circuit.

So that’s me in a nutshell. Welcome into my little corner of the internet. I love to hear from anyone who’s reading, so please drop a line in my comments to say hi or drop me an email! And please let me know if there’s a topic you’d love to have me write about over the month, whether holiday-related or not. With few exceptions, I’m up for anything!

Best,
Mel

No comments: