12 December 2005

Movies

Erich and I saw The Chronicles of Narnia last night as an impromptu date-night. Honestly, I thought the movie was just okay. Beautiful to look at, but the entire story seemed rushed and superficial to me. Erich's comment was that he didn't think the main characters really seemed all that important-- I have to agree. It seemed like most of the detailing of the main plot was skipped over. Perhaps it was a time thing, but honestly, I'd rather the movie be longer with more depth. Kids can handle long movies if what's on screen captivates them. Harry Potter and Star Wars come to mind.

Granted, I haven't read the book in twenty years or so and never read the entire series (I started book 3, but never finished it). So honestly, I'm not that familiar with C. S. Lewis' writing anymore. But it just seemed kinda... there. I admit that I was a bit confused as to all of the hoopla about Christian allegory leading up to the movie, since I didn't recall it in the book. Yeah-- well, I'll chalk that up to being a kid and having it fly over my head. Because the movie was full of it, and I'm sure the book has even more. It doesn't bother me, of course.

Tilda Swinton blew me away as the White Witch. I find her to be such an intriguing actress. Visibly, she's a chameleon. Very beautiful and graceful, but with this underlying air that can turn her to an image of absolute horror simply by changing her experession. She brought this coldness to the White Witch and played her perfectly-- seductive and evil. I loved it. I was introduced to Ms. Swinton in Constantine last year, where I was extremely impressed that they'd found a woman who could play Gabriel as the androgynous character (s)he is alluded to be. Beautiful and handsome together at the same time. It's a rare feat.

I guess I just wanted more from this movie. It definitely had potential. And as I said, it was beautiful to look at. But it just. didn't. go. far. enough. It does, however, make me want to read the book again. :)

One thing I did notice last night? The theater was dead. For a holiday movie - and a family movie - at a 7:30 showing on its opening weekend? Dead quiet. The theater was maybe a quarter full. The theater we go to is a nice one with stadium seating right next to the mall (which was PACKED, of course).

But yay! to the new Pirates of the Carribean trailer. That should be fun next summer. :)

I expect to be at the theater a lot over the next few weeks. Lots of movies out that I want to see-

- Walk the Line
- Syriana
- Memoirs of a Geisha
- Harry Potter 4 (again... preferably in IMAX)
- Pride & Prejudice

Maybe Erich and I should just spend Christmas Day at the movies... ;)

No comments: