28 December 2005

Boston at Dawn

As an aside- my server provider, Globat, has been annoying the crap out of me this week. They seem to be having server issues, and at times it's been bad enough that I haven't been able to load my own pages. If you haven't been able to read-- this is why. Hopefully the problem is fixed since my pages loaded right away this morning. *sigh*

If you've stopped here to read for Holidailies 2005, you'll want to find me over on Holidailies because I've been linking some older entries on my old journal and LiveJournals to keep my posting count up to date while this has been going on...

Anyway...

It's quarter to eight in the morning, and I'm sitting at my desk at work. When I arrived about 20 minutes ago, the lights were all off in the building, save the emergency exit lights. The sun was just rising, turning all of the building tops a bright, beautiful gold. None of it had hit the street yet.

The lights in the building are still off. I'm fairly comfy by the light of my screen and my desk lamp for now. I'll let the next insane "oh my god why are you here this early?!?" person find the switch. It's probably the person who normally turns them on, anyway. I'd like to be able to make the impression that I'm not yet here so I can get some work done in peace. :)

Mind you, this is the first time I've arrived at this office so early-- it's not something I want to repeat very often. It requires catching the commuter train from Providence at 6:10 in the morning, which also requires me to get out of the house at around 5:45 to get to the station. But Erich had to get in obnoxiously early today to cover a help desk shift at his office, since the vacation schedules have left coverage spotty. At least I can leave work at around 3:15. :)

I enjoyed the walk to work this morning, though. I treated myself to an entirely-too-expensive cup of coffee (Peppermint Mocha) from $tarbuck$ this morning, thoroughly enjoying the fact that there was no line at the counter. Copley Square was seeing signs of life, but nothing like I normally see at 8:45 or 9:30 when I normally get there.

If there is one place in Boston that I truly enjoy just to hang out in, it's Copley Square. It has a wonderful lawn to sprawl on when the weather is warm. A fountain on one side provides another warm, cozy spot for late spring through autumn lunch time. Trinity Church is so beautiful to look at with its ornate brownstone carving. Every time I look at it, I find something new that I swear wasn't there before. I'm also fascinated that such a huge building is supported entirely on sunken wood pilings... but it's the same as anything else in Back Bay built at that time. It's a beautiful church inside, too. I used to attend Sunday services there while I was in college. Being in an Episcopal church gave me some home comfort. The bigger reason, though, was that I loved the hymns being sung to a brass quartet and huge brass organ.

A stack of guard rails are leaning against a pillar in the square-- I presume they're for First Night this weekend, when there usually are two or three impressive ice sculptures out on the lawn of Copley Square for all to admire. The ice hasn't arrived, though-- I wonder when it will show up?

Oop-- someone's turned on all the lights. I guess it's time to get to work...

No comments: