18 December 2005

Holiday Football

I'm loving the Saturday and Sunday game schedule over the next three weeks. Between NFL and college ball, our TV is probably going to be on from morning until night on the weekends.

I was afraid for a moment, though, that my presence in front of the TV was jinxing the San Diego-Indianapolis game. Erich and I sat down in the 3rd quarter when the score was 16-0 Chargers. Within the next few minutes, suddenly Indy was on top. I was afraid I'd have to send Minarae and Petrouchka a personal apology for screwing the Chargers by watching the game.

Thankfully, they turned it around. But damn, that was a wild two quarters of football.

After the ups and downs of this season, I'm genuinely shocked the Pats are going to the playoffs, but it's a simple case of how bad the division sucked. As much as I'd love it, I don't expect them to get past the second round. It seems to be Indy's year. Today, as my dad just said on the phone a bit ago, simply reminded Indy that they're human. But they'll keep steamrolling on, I think.

Still, it's nice that there's some routine to Pats football. If it's December, the Pats win. If it's snowing, the Pats seem to have divine help on the field. We love the snow for a football game. The Raiders helped create that love for us with the Tuck Bowl.

Meanwhile, my dad is quietly mourning his sacred Eagles yet again. He's a devoted Philadelphia boy out in the region of the Denver Broncos. The "there's always next year..." chant has begun yet again.

Mmmm... football.

No comments: