18 January 2005

Four days until Arisia - Con Talk time!

I can't believe Arisia starts this Friday. Goo! Where has the time gone? (and to think that it was originally planned to be this PAST weekend...)

I received an email from Rachel at programming for Arisia with my schedule for panels. It looks like the NaNoWriMo panel will not be happening. Ah well. I did ask in my verification email just to check, but I'm assuming that it's not happening. Le sigh.

With my Friday schedule, there was a 9-10 p.m. panel (on Klingons) that I just was wary of committing to, so I've contacted programming to get taken off of it if possible.

BUT... the other two that I will be definitely on, if any con attendees want to give moral support to the first-time panelist (mew?), are:

    Breaking down Myths of Women in Gaming: 04:00 PM 04:50 PM (in Thoreau)
    This is probably self-explanatory from the title. Should be a lot of fun.

    Party Genesis Scenarios: 05:00 PM 05:50 PM (in Back Bay)
    This is a discussion on how to break out of the mold of "You start in an inn..." type beginnings to campaigns. I'm going to have a lot of brainstorming fun this past week, remembering different campaign openers. I'm sure Erich will enjoy this one, too.


I'm honestly kind of glad they're later in the afternoon, too. Granted, I usually am arguing to try to figure out which panels I'll be skipping due to exhaustion or overlap, but I'd rather they be in the late afternoon, which is when I start slacking off after hours upon hours of attending panels myself. :)

They have scheduled space for a Drum Circle-- for an hour. Which is better than nothing, of course-- but still frustrating after the amazing circles of years past that started at 11 p.m. and just ran until people dropped off. Instead, there's some cheesy late night games (such as duck duck goose? *sigh*) taking over the room. Apparently the person who ran the circle before did not want to commit for this year, so alas, no circle until there were some rumors flying and comments made last week. I can't blame him, considering the shaft that the circle got last year.

But will I be able to get TO the circle? Since it's at 8 p.m., and I'm currently scheduled for a 9 p.m. panel (that I'm not really keen on doing, but will if I must because I did originally say I was interested...), and I am not getting off work on Friday until probably 5:30 by the looks of my boss' schedule... *sigh* Getting settled into the hotel is good. Getting dinner is even better.

It'll be nice to get back to Arisia. Erich and I didn't go last year due to money issues, compounded by the fact that we wanted to attend WorldCon -- and did, but it was wicked expensive (and tons of fun).

Arisia's a lot more intimate (by about, say, 5,000 attendees), yet still large enough and varied enough with events that I have a great time. Honestly, every time I've gone I leave feeling like I just wanted to do more-- which I consider a good thing. Unlike LunaCon, where I was extremely bored by about halfway into day two and stuck at the hotel because I had no car to get out for a while.

I'm looking forward to seeing the complete schedule, though, so I can take my trusty highlighter and plan my weekend. :) Con madness-- yay!

No comments: