23 January 2005

Big Announcement




It still hasn't quite sunk in yet, either. :) I just keep having Oh my God, I'm ENGAGED! going through my head today.


Erich and I went to Fire + Ice on St. James Street last night. It's the restaurant that we went to on our first date, but because we aren't in the city that often these days together, we haven't gone since... probably the last time we were at Arisia! Anyway... the snow was swirling, but since it was early in the storm, walking over wasn't bad at all. We had a nice, relaxed dinner... during which the snow increased outside quickly.

After dinner, Erich commented that he really wanted to see how the snow was plastering itself against his old office (the older John Hancock building... with the weather light). I raised an eyebrow, considering that said building is in the windiest vortex of the city. But it was only a block away, I kinda shrugged and followed him over.

And oh, the wind was swirling. It sounded like wind racing through the trees in the Rockies down that corridor. But we went over there and turned the corner onto Clarendon Street. The snow hadn't really begun to stick to the building, but I immediately reasoned that with the wind there, it probably wasn't going to. We walked to the front steps of the building (which were covered in beautiful drifts of snow already). Amid the swirling snow in the air and the ground, he got down on one knee, saying that it's not *quite* where we first met (we were about 50 feet off at most.. but said spot was in the core of the vortex on the other side of the street), but that it was as close as he could get. He asked me to marry him and presented the ring in the picture above. :) I immediately said yes (of course!) and we gave each other a quick kiss. Although it was brutally windy and the snow was piling up quickly, I was bouncing inside the two blocks back to the hotel. The rest of the evening was spent cuddling up either in the hotel room, the bar, or at the Arisia dance.

I gave Erich the rose gold claddaugh ring that I've worn for the past two years. Originally we had matching ones, but his broke a while back. It seemed fitting for him to wear mine now. :)

Since the picture above isn't that great (we tried a few times, but indoor lighting was not our friend). It's a white-gold ring. The center diamond is square cut. On either side are two small square-cut sapphires. And then in the band on the outside of each sapphire are two tiny diamonds.

So much for struggling to make a highlight of Arisia entry, eh?

No comments: