03 December 2006

Weekend Wakeup Calls

I don't generally get to sleep in on weekend mornings. Most of the time, my brain decides that I have, in fact, forgotten to turn on my alarm clock and am about to miss my train. But in the off chance that the internal alarm clock doesn't go off, we have five other alarm clocks that generally start voicing their opinion by about 8 a.m. or so.

Cats really need love, of course. And as their humans, we should be catering to them on their schedules... dammit.

This morning's edition of Feline Alarm was paid for by Nobanion. Around 8:30, he sauntered up the entire length of my body, making sure to walk over my head. He then bit my nose, licked it, and flopped unceremoniously with his flanks on my face with enough force to make me sneeze. He then relaxed, slid down into the hammock formed by my shoulder and outstretched arm, and began to purr.

For a few moments, I thought that maybe he was just going to cuddle up and go to sleep there, and I could doze for a while. I can't think of many things that I love as much as the slow wakeups on the weekends curled up to one of the cats, just being lazy. It's relaxing, it's peaceful. And it's rare.

So I just stayed there, resisting my morning allergies as they started to kick in. But Noby had other plans for me. He decided that he needed further attention, and began chewing on my outstretched fingers.

So much for cuddling.

I got up, used the bathroom, and came back to bed. Noby hadn't wanted my attention at all.

He just wanted the warm spot that I'd leave so he could take a nap.

(sigh)

No comments: