14 December 2006

Thursday Thirteen #14: Fun Addresses

For the past couple years, I've involved myself in some seasonal card exchanges-- it's always nice to receive some friendly cheer in the mailbox among the bills. :)

This year, I'm writing out a bunch of cards-- and I've come across some names of streets or towns that just strike me as interesting, unusual, cool-- or strange... all in a good way. :) So I'm sharing a few of them (no person's name attached) as this week's Thursday Thirteen:


Thirteen Interesting Addresses


1. Olive Branch, Mississippi - The name of the town just makes me think of "Old South..." one of those quiet little towns with live oaks draped in Spanish Moss. I'm probably completely wrong about the image... but that's what it makes me picture. :)

2. Cricklewood Drive - Is it a sound that the wood makes? Wood doesn't crinkle... but I guess it must be close.

3. Dyngley Close - It just sounds amusing to me. Dyngley... Granted, I'm pronouncing it "Ding-ley." Maybe it's "Dighn-ley" and I'm just being a stupid Yank.

4. Little Deer Isle - I really want to know how it got that name. It's in Maine. Which means there's a story behind it-- because everything has a story behind it in Mane. :) Next time I'm up there, I may just have to investigate.

5. Knotts Landing Drive - Wasn't this a TV show?

6. King James Way - based on where this is located, I wonder if it's in relation to anything to colonial Jamestown...

7. Fire Trail Road - again... is there history behind this?

8. Snoqualmie - I love funky town names. Native American influenced, I imagine?

9. Atascadero - One of the things that always amuses me about California is the Spanish (or Spanish sounding) town names. I honestly wonder how many are real, and how many are just sounds thrown to gether to sound Californian. :)

10. Pacific Avenue - located in a town that is over a thousand miles from the Pacific Ocean...

11. Manassas - Manassas, Virginia... I always envision molasses.

12. Lolita Street - The young girls on this street are probably kept on the straight and narrow by their parents, no? :) Still... I'd love to say I lived on Lolita Street... with a bat of the eyes, of course.

13. Babbling Creek Place - Is it accurately describing the road? Is it by a babbling creek?

Links to other Thursday Thirteens!
1. (leave your link in comments, I’ll add you here!)



Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!



No comments: