07 December 2006

Thursday Thirteen #13: Redux Entry

It's my 13th edition of the Thursday Thirteen. I really wanted to find something witty, but my brain has fried. :( So instead, I bring you to thirteen years ago, December 7, 1993.


Thirteen Things about Measi, Thirteen years ago


1. I was 18 years old.

2. I was a freshman at Boston University, planning on majoring in journalism but not allowed to declare it for three more semesters.

3. Classes for the semester had ended, and I was prepping for my first round of collegiate final exams (complete with the infamous blue books).

4. I was a new pledge to Tau Beta Sigma, having joined the organization through Concert Band. I knew absolutely nobody in the organization, but liked the idea of a sorority of bandswomen. Miracle of miracles, they accepted me. It was after I became a pledge that I began participating in Pep and Marching Band at B.U.

5. I wore size 14 clothes. (I'm now in a 24/26 *sob*)

6. I'd gotten a perm over Thanksgiving at my grandparents' house -- I recall it specifically because I had perfect little loose ringlets all winter. It was the last perm I ever had (to the present day).

7. My mom still lived in California at that time, so I spent Thanksgiving with my grandparents in Pennsylvania. They were my closest relatives to where I was attending school. (My mom moved to PA to be closer to my grandparents about a year and a half later).

8. I had just returned from my first ever trip to New York City. I went with a dorm floor mate who grew up in the Boston metro area and his mom. We took a bus to NYC, saw the Radio City Christmas Spectacular (the live nativity actually brought me to tears), went skating at Rockefeller Center, and got our pictures taken with Santa at Saks Fifth Avenue.

9. I lived in Warren Towers, which is a monster of a building on Commonwealth Avenue in Boston-- 1,500+ students in one dorm. My room was a standard double on the northwest corner of C tower, 13th floor. I never saw my roommate, Kathy, again after freshman year.

10. That December was the start of one of the snowiest winters in Boston-- over 100 inches fell in the city that winter. Coming from the eastern side of the Rockies (where the storms fizzled out before reforming over the Plains), I'd never seen so much snow at once.

11. I didn't yet know any of the people I now consider my college buddies. I didn't meet Ivanna until the next year (even though she's older than me), and everyone else was at least a year behind me in school.

12. I had a twice monthly excursion to all of the following places: Salem, Mass. (Pagan browsing), Tower Records (@ the corner of Mass Ave. and Newbury Street), India Quality restaurant (at its original location in Kenmore Square), Pandemonium Books & Games (at *its original location in Harvard Square over the German restaurant), the Harvard Coop (for no reason...except it was near Pandy), Arsenic & Old Lace (Pagan store formerly at Mass Ave between Harvard and Porter Squares), and Gypsy Moon (funky fantasy clothing store across the street from Arsenic).

13. I had never played any Dungeons & Dragons or any other role-playing game at that point. :)



Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!



No comments: