01 December 2006

The Gratuitous Introduction Entry

It’s Holidailies, which means that several people who don’t commonly read me may be visiting. To the newcomers- welcome! I hope you’ll enjoy my writing, want to share comments and hopefully read after January 1st has passed us by...

With the beginning of Holidailies, I thought it best to start with introducing myself. It’s been five years since I wrote my original bio for my blog. I’ve cut and pasted new info, but it’s due for an overhaul. So…

My name is Melissa. I usually go by Mel (with both co-workers and friends), or by Measi (a childhood nickname that stuck). I’m on the cusp of age 32, a double Capricorn (if you’re into astrology), lazy-about-practicing Pagan, geek, cat lover, and craft-aholic.
I’ve lived in New England for 13 years. I originally came to Boston to attend Boston University, fell in love with my new surroundings, and have settled in to a life I love.

I’m engaged to a wonderful man named Erich. He’s a native Massachusetts boy, with the slightest bit of the accent that has made the region so famous. He’s about 6’3”, giving him nearly a foot of height over me. I don’t even reach his shoulder. We’ve been a couple since 2001, living together since 2002, and homeowners since 2005. We live in the Providence, Rhode Island metro area in a pretty old colonial house with a decent yard. Both of us still commute to Boston for work, so we’re close friends with the Massachusetts Bay Transit Authority, also known as “the T.” Driving our commute daily would be a nightmare. Erich works in IT. I work as an Admin. Assistant.

One of the biggest reasons Erich and I clicked so well is our mutual geekness (geekitude?). We both enjoy computer games immensely. He tends to go for the first person shooters and more violent games. I tend to lean toward the Sims, Myst, and other simulation/strategy games. We both play World of Warcraft a lot, and often together. We also enjoy Renaissance faires, tabletop gaming (think Dungeons & Dragons), fandom conventions, and all of the nerdy things from our youth that led into such interests. I have additional geekness coming from years of marching and pep band membership.

We are owned by five loving but very weird cats, who have come into our lives at an oddly clockwork 2-year interval. Colley is 7, Fizzy is 5, Gus is 3, and the twins, Noby and Elly, are 1. Photos and details about each of them will follow in later entries this month.

The major hobby I talk about in my blog (other than blogging) is my stitching. I’m an avid cross-stitcher, and tend to have about a half-dozen projects in the works at any given time. I originally learned when I was in 5th grade through a class art project. I enjoyed it so much that I kept on going. It helped me feel a bit more connected to my mother, who sewed all the time when I was a child. She loved that I was interested in embroidery, too, and helped me select materials and such until I was out of college. I went through a few years of disinterest, but found myself really getting into it again about two years ago. I tend to work larger pieces, so completions are few and far between. But I find that the journey of stitching is honestly more fun than the completion. Most of my current projects and all completed projects are located in my Flickr account (on the right hand bar).

So what do I normally write about in my blog? It depends on my mood. I tend to write about what happens during my days. Lately I’ve been on a bit of a meme streak due to an inability to sit down, think and do quality writing. When I do have the time to really think and write, I’ll talk about topics that are personal- adoption, faith, lukewarm attempts at politics, etc.

So who’s reading? Drop a note and say hi!

No comments: