07 June 2006

Stitching photo day! (updates and SBQ)

This is going to be a pretty heavy photo entry. :) Apologies in advance...

It's been a long time since I've posted update photos of my stitching. And since it's Wednesday (and therefore Stitcher Blogging Question day), I finally got my butt in gear and took some photos. I'm having some serious problems with blur, though. *sigh*

Anyway, here's The Castle. As I'd mentioned a month or so ago, the cross-stitches are now done. I'm finishing up the backstitching. The majority of the work I have left to do are the rocks between the castle and the tail. I'm working the spines on the far left hand side (against the white backdrop) right now.



Here's a bit more detail on the backstitching I'm actually focused on:




For those who read my journal who don't cross-stitch... backstitching is the technical term for adding lines that create detail. It includes outlining, shade lines, and definition lines between different colored areas. On my Castle, for example, take a good look at the rocks on the left hand side of the image vs. the right-- you'll notice the ones on the left have a faint outline around them. That's what I've backstitched so far. The ones on the right are not yet backstitched (but will be!).

Most stitchers I know consider backstitching to be tedious, but we all know that it definitely DOES make a difference in the finished project. I'm thankfully moving well right now, so I'm plugging along on it while the ability to tolerate backstitching continues. :)

Apache Wedding Blessing is my other big project right now. I'm stitching this for my good friend Ivanna, who wed in October. I'm really hoping to have this done for her first anniversary...




I got a good 10 hour plug done on this so far this week-- anything you see in the top horizontal section was done on either Sunday (most of the day) or last night (mmm... Deadliest Catch). I want to have that section done no later than Friday night. Then I'll begin working on the bottom half of the left hand column (more of the blue zig-zag pattern, which stitches obnoxiously fast). Once I get the left hand vertical column done, I'll get that portion backstitched, and then move on to the bottom horizontal panel.

So my projects are moving right along-- I can be honest via photos now!

The Stitcher Blogging Questions for this week are photographic, too...

The first request comes from Vashwho is requesting pictures of the back of your stitching… are you brave enough to give this one a shot?

I'm really not afraid of this. I consider myself a very neat (and proudly so!) stitcher.

Backside of The Castle:




Backside of Apache Wedding Blessing:




I'm not sure who actually taught me this, but I learned very early on to keep the backside of my stitching as neat as possible so when I finished a piece, it would lie as flat as possible when put into a pillow or a frame. As I stitch, I honestly do consciously look to make my backside stitching as clean as possible. Most of the mess I may have comes from the backstitching.

The second request comes from Singular Stitches, and she is asking for "a pictorial tour of [the] special place that you go to create your wonderful stitched creations."

Other than the Commuter Rail train, which I couldn't shoot spur of the moment... here are my two stitching nooks:

The living room couch (complete in this photo with British stitching mags and the black sheet I've been using to cover my legs as I curl up)




And my side of the bed (please don't skeeve at the wallpaper. It's from the previous owner... we just haven't gotten to it yet. The cats love pouncing the big pink roses, though!)




And I think I've reached my max space limit for entries today....

No comments: