18 June 2006

The Castle


The Castle
Originally uploaded by measi.
It's amazing to me, but I finally finished The Castle about a half-hour ago. It hasn't been cleaned yet-- it's still tacked to the stretcher bars I've used all weekend as I've been working the remaining backstitching. But it's done-- my first Teresa Wentzler piece, and the largest stitching piece I've completed to date.

It's been a long ten-year journey with this piece. I have lots of emotions tied into this one. I know where I was when I stitched particular areas of this piece. In some cases, I even know the state of mind I had. I've stitched areas of The Castle within a ritual circle, trying to clear my mind and regain focus. I've stitched through tears. I've stitched through cats. I've stitched on it at work. I've stitched on it on trains and planes. I've stitched on it curled up on the couch with one of a few of my sorority sisters, also stitching on their own pieces, laughing and creating comfy memories.

It has seen me from age 21, as a junior in college with no clue where she wanted to go in life, to age 31, engaged with several hopes and dreams for the future. I've moved five times since starting it. I've graduated college. My father remarried. My brother graduated from both high school and college. My grandmother passed away. My mother, ever supportive, watched me go through heartbreak and anger to falling in love. As each of these events (and more) happened, those emotions were blended into this piece stitch by stitch.

All of the rest of my stitching this year is just extra credit. I've reached a personal accomplishment goal, and now I just need to do some happy dancing for a while!

Wheee!!!!!

No comments: