05 May 2005

So, aside from that little audio jaunt...

Things are okay this week, just oddly out of sync. Somewhere along the week, I apparently sped up in time, spent an extra day, and then sped back in time to match everyone else. EVERY DAY this week, I've been a day off. My mind keeps thinking it's Friday, and I have no idea why.

And no, I haven't had a 'rita yet today to celebrate Cinqo de Mayo Min's 30th birthday. But I hopefully will tonight. Or a cosmo. Or something yummy and oh-so-girly.

Tonight's great drinking adventure will be graced with the attendance of T., one of the few members of the Boston college (small c) crew who left Boston immediately after graduating from BU. T. went on to Germany for a year, and then settled back in his home state of North Carolina, has gotten married, and is living his life. My contact with him is basically through Jason and the "news from T." that occasionally comes over conversation or email. I think the last time I actually saw him was in '99 or '00. It was before he was married.

T. is infamous in our group for a couple reasons. One is that he's 6'9" tall. He kinda stands out. He's a very thin Irishman who can eat a ton and not gain any weight because his body just BURNS everything. (his torso is CONCAVE, for crying out loud... or was...)

The other is one of those common associations that goes along with men with large shoes. Or hands, or whatever your area of the world uses as the Way to Tell A Man's size. Somehow, every conversation about T. winds up being about Little T.

Who ain't so little.

My personal opinion on first hand experience? "Ow." and... "How funny would I be walking afterwards?" (I pray to God he never sees this...)

But anyway... he's up in Boston for a long weekend, and is coming out with us tonight. About ten of us are going out to an Irish pub in downtown Boston, followed by that kick-ass event that so few geeks are lucky to attend: a sneak preview of Serenity, by Joss Whedon, following the entirely-too-short-lived show Firefly on that bastion of making good programming choices [/sarcasm], FOX. It's only being shown in ten cities, and was at THIS timeslot. How we managed to get tickets in the 15-minute window that they were actually available, I have no idea. It's like managing to get tickets for U2 concerts this summer (only there are a hell of a lot more U2 tickets available).

I'll give some comments tomorrow during the day about my thoughts on the movie, qualifying it by the fact that it IS still in post-production, and not completely finished yet.

***

My mom is driving up for the weekend tomorrow and staying until Monday. We're going to show her the house at some point this weekend-- Erich's been calling the woman who sold us the house to arrange a time with her on Saturday. Other than that, there aren't any firm plans. I know we'll definitely go out for dinner on Mother's Day, but besides that, a lot depends on how sucktastic the rainy weather is actually supposed to be this weekend.

I blame my mom for that, by the way. On Tuesday night, she said "oh, it's supposed to be mid-60's and beautiful here, so I'm sure it'll be wonderful up there, too." *sigh* I won't tell her she doomed the weather, but then again, she doesn't know how New England has this sadistic mindset to laugh at anyone who lives here and wants to have nice weather on the weekend for more than one weekend in a row.

***

I have some takers on the swapping supplies... so hopefully that FB pile will be whittled down by Monday night. Along with the last remaining organized swaps I owe. Then I'll pack everything up in boxes until late June.

***

There's a stitch-along on The Castle this weekend via Teresa Wentzler's bulletin boards. Hopefully I can put in a couple hours in the late evenings once my mom goes to bed. (she's one of those 9 p.m. bedtime folks) And if I find the cord for my digital camera, I could update all of my photos that I didn't do last month...

***

That's it. Gotta get back to work. And get a serious dose of caffeine in me.

No comments: