17 April 2005

Computer geeking

Erich got home at 7 a.m. this morning. Apparently they played D&D until 6 a.m., and then he decided to come home and crash.

Of course, thanks to my wonderful sleeping habits, when he got home, I woke up. Granted, it was a nice way to wake up-- to a hugging fiance and a very loudly purring cat flopped between us (that would be Gus, who has the most delicious cat purr ever).

But I was up. At seven on a Sunday. Oh yeah-- I went to bed at 2 a.m. last night. So this wasn't a good thing.

*sigh*

All things considered, I've done okay today despite the lack of sleep. The only thing I decided not to do was drive up to Boston to the TBS meeting tonight. I'm a bit too wonky to drive safely on the autoban that is I-93. Plus, they're having elections tonight, and really-- it's something the chapter needs to do without alumni there.

It was an absolutely beautiful day out today-- somewhere in the mid 60's, bright sunshine. The windows and sliding glass door have been open all day to get the fresh air in. My allergies be dammed. I'll deal with them to enjoy the smell of spring.

We went to see Sahara for the early matinee. It's a popcorn flick. The one that you'd go to see to escape the summer heat, but not one that's an absolute must-see. We had fun. It's goofy and a bit too over the top, but still not too bad.

Randolph Dairy Barn was open today, so after the movie, we swung by to grab cones (vanilla and orange swirl... yum!). Everyone else in town seemed to be there, too.

And the best way to end off a sunny afternoon? A comfy, lazy nap. Erich's still in bed. He only got about 4 hours of sleep himself, so I haven't bothered to wake him up. I probably will around 7, though. Otherwise he won't sleep tonight.

The only frustrating thing today was working on my web pages. I have a new template all ready to go. I want to tie everything together, rather than have the hodge podge of graphics that are currently on there. I purchased a customized version of Autumn Splendor and wanted to get it up today.

The problem is that the link buttons on the top aren't individual buttons-- they're part of the header graphic. SO... now I need to learn how to do a sitemap for linking, so that the links go in the right place. I am going to contact the designer to see if she has one already set up. It's a bit annoying because generally customized link buttons are individual graphics. It makes it very easy to get a site up and running. Not this time. *sigh*

And then on top of that, I did figure out how to install WordPress so I don't have to rely on the posting delays with Blogger for my journal. BUT-- the newest version of WordPress works with something called "themes" rather than onto HTML pages. So I have yet more to figure out. (joy)

SO I may be waiting on a lot of that until after the house move. It's not a priority. I may find a freebie graphic set to use until then, and once we're settled in the house, start really messing with graphic stuff. I have to let something slide here, I think.

But I'm annoyed. Between the JournalCon pages and my own pages, I'm realizing how far behind my web skills are now. I've been able to skirt by making pages on my own, but I think I'm just at that point where my skills are simply too limited for the current markup language.

Classes are in my future, I believe. I'll have to see if there are any through work.

In any case, if anyone DOES know their way around coding sitemap links or adapting WordPress to an existing template, let me know-- seriously... monetary funding will happily be discussed.

~ Mel.

No comments: