15 February 2005

Quiet little love day

After work, Erich and I headed into Boston to grab some Indian food for dinner. I've been craving some rich curries for a while now. When I lived in Boston, I had Indian takeout far more often than Chinese (simply due to the lack of respectable Chinese takeout/delivery places in Boston). It was at least a once per week thing at times when I was in my studio.

Erich has had the misfortune of going to Indian restaurants with me that weren't on my frequented-in-Boston list. They leaned on the very hot, rather than complex and rich, tasting curries. That didn't sit with him well, making him wary of the food last night.

But this time, I insisted on going to one of my favorite haunts-- Taste of India on Huntington, or India Quality in Kenmore. I knew the curry levels there. I knew that "mild" curry would be just that. And I was pretty sure that he'd enjoy it.

Since I hadn't been there since the fire burned out its original location in Kenmore a few years ago, I decided we should go to India Quality. Erich joked (as I often had) about never trusting a place with the word "Quality" in its name. But in this case, it actually is very good stuff. They have the best tasting mint chutney of any place in the city, and nothing comes out greasy or poorly made. I was amazed at the new digs for the restaurant. They have tables! This is amazing to me. The old restaurant was essentially inside an apartment. There were maybe five or six tables, all scrunched into what would be a Boston apartment's living room. The new one looked to have twenty or so tables, nicely spaced. No more worrying about smacking a nearby diner in the head with your bookbag as you left...

And it's very well priced. Always a plus.

Erich seemed pleasantly surprised this time by his food. He's out of his element at an Indian restaurant, but decided upon the Lamb Masala (always a safe bet to start out with). It wasn't too hot for him. He was able to enjoy it. I order my food "medium" in heat, and in the case of the dish I was having (Lamb Bahar), it was just a bit too spicy to enjoy the curry. But I still liked it a lot. Garlic Nan bread. Pampadum... yummy.

We left very stuffed and wandered across the street. I wanted to check the prices of a couple things at the bookstore (i.e. new hockey jersey) before we headed home. Sadly, hockey jersies have gone up $20 since I last bought one... so we'll have to wait. Mine's a bit ratty, but still definitely wearable. I'm not yet ready to drop $70 on a jersey when I'm not actively going to games at the moment.

*sigh*

We got home, had some intimate time, and watched the Beanpot game. Jason was kind enough to disappear for a little while so we could have the private time at home. :)

And for once, we were both exhausted by around 11 p.m. I don't think either of us made to midnight.

I blame the curry. :)

No comments: