02 February 2005

Guns

Yesterday, partially out of stress and partially out of generic whining, I played hooky from work. I wasn't feeling that great in the morning (and still feel like I have a low grade bug, actually), so I could justify it... kinda.

Ultimately, though, I just needed a mental health day. The climate at work has grown increasingly annoying over the past year. And thanks to an added 25% in personnel (and therefore... workload) in my department as of October, I'm finding it very, very hard to adjust. I'm worried about my mental state come May and June, when this office move to Boston is supposed to happen (which I've yet to hear anything about, despite knowing by default that I have to be the coordinator for Design).

So I took yesterday off.

And spent it with Erich and the guys-- going up to Manchester, NH to the range. Which was a very different and new experience in itself.

Despite growing up in Montana and having been raised around guns, I'd never shot one before yesterday. My father has two rifles-- one that he used during a brief pheasant hunting stint when I was very young. The other is a Harper's Ferry rifle that sits proudly as decoration on the wall of his den. I know it's plugged-- I don't know if it would fire even if it were unplugged

I grew up with a healthy respect for firearms. I've never been interested in them, really-- although I appreciate some of the decorative workmanship and engraving on many pieces that were given as awards or gifts. I admit to being somewhat afraid of guns, but I consider it a healthy fear that has forced me to learn to respect and handle them properly. The addage "guns don't kill people, people kill people" is true if not a bit too simplistic. People being irresponsible with guns kill people.

So... going back to yesterday. The four guys and I get up to the indoor firing range in Manchester, which is ironically located (as one of the guys pointed out) right next to a Little League field-- and only about a mile away from the Manchester airport. I'd say "only in New Hampshire" if it were possible to be true...

A couple of my friends have their licences to own and carry, and so they brought their own pistols and rifles up to practice with. There are also a variety to rent at the place (including some obscene stuff if you need to get it out of your system). After watching the guys for a bit, I decided to give it a try... with Tone's .357.

Which promptly scared the living shit out of me and nearly knocked me on my ass, both from the sound (despite having ear protection) and the kickback. I was not expecting the thing to nearly kick out of my hand. Two shots (once I managed to get it to fire the first time-- I didn't pull the hammer back and had to pull like hell) and I was rattled enough to put it down.

Once I calmed down, I attempted one of Kevin's rifles, which wasn't so bad. With a bit more confidence, I would probably find myself enjoying rifle target shooting. And then Erich rented a .22, which I found much, much easier... and actually did quite well with. I decided after using it that until I get more comfortable, I'll stick to one of those if I go up to the range because I just feel like I have better control-- something rather important when using live rounds at a firing range.

At some point, Erich rented a 12-gauge rifle. The reverb on that thing left a bruise in his shoulder. THAT made an impressive boom inside the range. And a rather LARGE hole in the target.


That being said-- I'm not a gun person. I won't ever be one. But at the same time, I think going to the range was something that was fun to do, very interesting to do, and considering that my fiancé (god that still sounds weird) is interested in guns and will probably own at least one once he has a place to store them properly... important for me to do. Learning about them, what to do and what not to do... it's a good thing.

I don't have a lot of knowledge of gun issues and legalities, simply because it hasn't been something that has involved me personally. It's one of the reasons I haven't made a strong stance on the issue of gun ownership-- I just don't have the education to make one honestly.

But I was psyched to start learning about them yesterday. Actually holding and firing one does give me a new perspective from which to think about it...

No comments: