04 June 2005

Goodbye old office, hello new...

Yesterday was the final day in our old Needham office. It was disorienting as file cabinets and offices were dismantled and moved out-- almost surreal in a lot of ways. Half of the employees in our company are still there until Thursday. I wonder how they'll feel as they walk around the half-empty cubicles.

Since I'm the designated move coordinator for my department, I came in this morning to the new space to check it out and make sure all of the moving crates for everyone showed up. So far, so good. A few missing crates here and there, but I've seen a huge wall of them off in one corner of the floor, so I imagine the missing ones are somewhere in there, not yet sorted through.

It's 11:36, and all of my storage crates are unpacked. Stuff is scattered around my office in all sorts of weird places for the time being, but I simply couldn't move with all of the crates, let alone organize my stuff. The bins were so tightly packed in my new cubicle that they literally haven't placed a DESK chair in here yet-- I'm sitting on the top of my portable (and top-padded... nifty temp seating) file cabinet at my desk at the moment.

So I spent the last hour just getting everything out of the bins, put away in the huge lateral file, where I can pull stuff out drawer by drawer to sort through them.

I like my new space. And from what I've seen so far, I really like the new office. It's bright and open, rather than the dark and fairly old, dingy space we had before. My cubicle is nearly twice the size of my old one, with a distinct area that's filing space, and tons of work surface room. If I really wanted to, I could literally pack everything from my old office way in the lateral file cabinets, and have an empty-appearing cubicle. (considering the amount of shit I pile up due to my pack-rattedness, plus basic admin. assistant paper volume, it's impressive. Trust me.)

Anyway... I don't see what else there is for me to do here... so I think I'll take off and head over to my NEW HOUSE for the afternoon, where I can dive into that long-forgotten territory called Yardwork.

Providence, here I come...

No comments: