11 October 2007

Thursday Thirteen #28: Invading Britain

Since I’m now officially a year away from the Great British Expedition of '08, I’m doing this week’s Thursday Thirteen on things I’d really like to do while I’m across the pond. I know we can’t do them all due to the distance between places. But that’s why there are additional trips in the future, right? :)

1) See Hamlet and Loves Labour Lost at the Royal Shakespeare Company. This is checked off the list. Tickets are bought and have arrived at our house, all shiny and glowing. :)

2) Go to Cardiff and take the obligatory geek shots in front of the water tower, the Millennium Centre overhang, the Torchwood door on the dock, and wherever else my geeky heart needs to do for Doctor Who and Torchwood-itis.

3) Ride the Tube. I have a weird fascination with subways and how I just sink into the crowd and into the population when I’m on a train. It’s stupid, I know – but it gives my heart a fun little flutter.

4) Do the Tower of London tour. I know… tourist-ey to hell, but SOME things just need to be done.

5) Go tour a castle outside of London. We’ll probably go to Warwick Castle, since we’ll be in Stratford-upon-Avon anyway.

6) Have a pint at a pub… and some proper British chips, too.

7) Take Erich up to Crouch End so he can do his fanboy enjoyment of Shaun of the Dead. (Shh... I promise not to be doing any Tennant scoping while we're here. Promise. Well... okay, a little).

8) Go up to Scotland – I’d love to do a tour of the hidden city in Edinburgh if it exists (the underground city that survived for decades). But honestly, I’ll just happily take going to Scotland, getting rained on… because it’s Scotland… and taking in some of the scenery.

9) Go around the Magical Roundabout.

10) Lose myself in something I would have never thought about before getting to Britain.

11) Meet one of the many Brits I’ve been in contact with via penpalling or the internet over the years. That may be for the obligatory pint in #6.

12) Meet the McNulty family that became so close to my grandfather during WWII when he was stationed there. My dad’s side of the family has essentially become extended family. This requires said trip to Scotland (and as such may be for another trip).

13) Take so many pictures and develop so many memories I’ll wear out both my camera and fill a journal of adventures!

Via Thursday Thirteen.


So... any Brits or those who have visited Great Britain - what would you recommend I do? Have any advice?

8 comments:

Open Grove Claudia said...

How lovely! And how exciting. You'll be so prepared!

Happy TT.

Anonymous said...

Part of the underground city in Edinburgh is called the vaults and they have a variety of tours that you can book with and they'll take you down for a look around. Also there's Mary King's Close which is the close they blocked up to try and prevent the spread of the plague. Apparently one of the most haunted places in the UK. They have a visitors centre, so if you put it into a google search you'll find their website. Hope that helps and that you have a wonderful time when you get over here.

Anonymous said...

Good for you. I was in London a few years ago. There's nothing wrong with seeing the tower: that diamond is incredible (big as my fist). so is the history.

I didn't do the London eye, but if you're not afraid of heights, it's probably worthwhile.

All the big museums were good, but I didn't think Dali Universe was worth the admission price.

I stayed near Victoria station, which is handy if you want to take the Tube and isn't far from some theaters.

Witchypoo said...

Go to Harrods for tea.

Anonymous said...

I lved in London almost all my life, so it's always fascinating seeing it discussed from the point view of a tourist or visitor. Enjoy your pint -- and steer clear of any pub or restaurant with ‘cockney’ in the name: bound to be a tourist trap and not remotely cockney. There are several touristy things well worth doing, apart from the Tower. Westminster Abbey, for example, and the Changing of the Guard. Have fun!

kbrow said...

Don't underestimate Stonehenge, and Glastonbury as proper pagan destinations. Both are rather touristic, but you can't mask the energy that still flows through both. I like Avebury, too, and going there will get you an opportunity to see the beautiful British countryside, which will include crop circles, the Uffington Chalk Horse, and numerous other witchy things.

The best way to get to Scotland is by train, as you'll see lots of gorgeousness along the way. I like Edinburgh, and I think the Royal Mile area is home to great pubs and the wonderful whiskey tour center, which is obligatory. As an alternative to Edinburgh, I'd recommend visiting the Highlands; Fort William, Glencoe, Inverness...so gorgeous, and very manageable, and verrra, verrrra scottish, too.

It occurs to me that everything I'm recommending you is more or less rural, but all are pretty accessible by public transport. By all means do the London Eye and go to Regents Park on a gorgeous day. Eat fabulous indian food in Soho. The British Museum is delightful, and again, another day trip, but Bath or Oxford are worth a look, as well.

Anonymous said...

Hi Mel!

Sounds like a great plan... :-)

If you want to save money and tick one thing off your list right away, instead of taking the Paddy Express or a taxi from the airport (if your arriving at Heathrow...), take the tube all the way into town. Costs you about 5 pounds one way. :-)

I stayed at a hotel in London very central, next to Piccadilly Circus for quite a cheap price a few years back... Gosh, can't remember the name of it right now but it cost me about 89 euros a night with shared bathroom and shower facilities.

Anonymous said...

Found it! Here's the link to the hotel....

http://www.regentpalacehotel.co.uk/

In case you're interested....