08 September 2006

When life disturbingly resembles Hugh Grant movie titles

Despite my Thursday Thirteen entry yesterday that was full of happiness and cheerleading about myself, the last 48 hours or so have been quite sad in the Geekywitch household. I'll be replying to Thursday Thirteen comments (thank you!) over the weekend...

Erich's maternal grandfather died late Wednesday night. He apparently had been fine, watching golf on Monday. On Tuesday he developed a cough. When family arrived to visit him Wednesday morning, he had developed pneumonia and was unresponsive. Norm was quite elderly- in his 90s, I believe. From what I understand, he never regained consciousness.

This was Erich's last surviving grandparent, and the second death this year. So far Erich's doing okay. He's somber of course, but he's getting through the day fairly well. We escaped reality for a few hours last night at Battleground with a D&D game, and I think that helped his mood quite a bit even if it decreased the amount of sleep on which he's running today. I don't think reality has really hit him yet. He took yesterday off to talk with his parents and wait for funeral service details, which are scheduled for this weekend.

I've only met Norm once - last year at his birthday party. I sadly don't have enough memories of him to make a fitting tribute to him. :(

No comments: