12 May 2007

Writing exercises - When readers read my novels...

As part of my "Mel needs to work on improving her writing, particularly with her story structure" edumacation... I've taken a blank notebook and am working through the exercises in the book.

I now have an hour plus commute each way on the train by myself, so it gives me plenty of time to do some personal study work - especially if I've been successful in claiming one of the coveted single seat rows on the train. (I do every morning from Providence, but it's not always possible on the way home due to the masses at South Station).

Anyway... for my own records, I'll be typing some of my quick-response essays in the exercises here. It'll be something hopefully a bit more interesting than the oodles of memes that have taken over lately. I'll be typing these exactly as written, with all spelling and grammar mistakes.

I've started with the "Plot and Structure" book mentioned a couple entries ago. It's been extremely interesting so far. Lots of ideas to chew on, but it's written in a laid-back, accessible style that's not intimidating at all.




Exercise 1, page 20 - write a mini-essay that fits the following. Write rough for 10 minutes.

When readers read my novels, I want them to feel ___________ at the end. That's because, to me, novels are __________."


    When readers read my novels, I want them to feel transported at the end. That's because, to me, novels are an escape from the mundane. I read to escape and unwind, whether on the train - as I am now - or in bed. Reading allows me to let go of the everyday stress I carry with me, helping me to clear my mind and refocus myself.

    A good novel, well - any enjoyable novel, anyway - is one with quirky, deeply-realized characters in well-realized worlds. I love to be able to close my eyes and see the view around me. I want to share in my character's joys and sorrows. I want to cling nervously to a ledge that may break at any moment, and feel the grit of loose rock beneath my fingers.

    A good novel also makes me think. I far prefer happy endings - but I'd rather have a sad or ambigous ending - sucha s the end of the TV one-off "Recovery," than have a picture-perfect, everything neat and tidy ending. The ending needs to fit. And I want to care about the ending. At the end of Recovery, Alan's future is left unclear. A few days after watching, I wondered about how the character might be doing. Is his life improving? Has he had another setback? Does his story have a happy ending, or merely fall into statistics?

    A novel makes me want to care. And, caring about a novel means I'm enjoying my spare time.

    - Time ends -

No comments: