22 May 2007

My inner band geek is going insane

This requires a story. Which makes for the best blog entries, right?

O-kay.

So, I'm chugging over to the train station after work today, running a bit later than I normally do, but I still have a comfortable 15 minutes to make the 4 block walk. My iPod is cranking, and I clear the walk in just over 5 minutes - about what I normally do.

What I *don't* normally do is grab a copy of the Metro. It's a little too McPaper for me normally. But I was in the mood for a Sudoku on the way home. It's free. And the hawker was being ignored, so I decided to give him a bit of love and take one.

Get in the station - the train's already boarding. So I head on out, walk the entire length of the train to the first car (where I'm guaranteed to get a single seat for my hour ride home), plunk down, and open the paper.

I skim the paper before the train leaves, and come to the page of entertainment listings for the Boston metro area. And I see a picture. And realize - it is, in fact, that time of year... and maybe if I'm really, really lucky... this year will be my year. And I make a mental note to talk to Erich when I get home.

Which I do immediately upon entering the car at the Providence train station. And Erich likes the idea. And says "sure... it'll be our sixth anniversary outing."

Six years. ;) Shocking.

But yeah... I still feel lucky.

So we go home. And I go upstairs, credit card in hand.

Try for our original plan - Thursday night. No dice. No tickets available for two people. Friday? Nope. Now I have to double-check with Erich, as Wednesday is a sacred gaming night between he and the guys. Erich says yes, since there's no other choice - and it is a rather special occasion.

I luck out. Two tickets. First balcony center at Symphony Hall. $100 for the pair, night before show. Perfect. Click, buy - YAY!

To see John Williams conduct the Boston Pops.

Now - I've dreamed of attending a Pops concert when John Williams was conducting since I moved to Boston in 1993. He usually only conducts a handful of concerts around Memorial Day. Some years (*cough* Star Wars) he hasn't conducted due to his composing schedule. I played Williams' music in high school band - we played the Overture to The Cowboys, a piece that's a bit lost to the annals of film, perhaps. But I love the piece.

And of course, I'm a geek. I'm a band geek. And he composed Star Wars. And Jaws. And Raiders of the Lost Ark. And Harry Potter. And well... a crapload of other stuff.

And by complete, sheer luck - THAT is what he's conducting tomorrow night. His own compositions, including several from the new Harry Potter movie coming out this summer.

I. Cannot. Wait.

And one of the big things that I had on my personal "Must Do In My Lifetime" checklist can now be crossed off.

*bounce*

No comments: