09 May 2007

A trip to the bra store

When did it get to Wednesday? This week is absolutely flying!

As always, I didn't get stuff done that I wanted to complete. BUT... I did make progress, so I'm forgiving myself. Kinda. Maybe.

Friday afternoon I stuck to my plan - I bought the undergarments for the wedding dress. I went to a traditional lingerie shop called Ruth's, located in Rolfe Square in Cranston. Walking down there is like transporting yourself to the sixties - small, locally owned shops. There's the hardware store, the pizza place, the coffee shop, the shoe store, the lingerie store, a former movie theatre now getting some massive reconstruction ... everything side by side on a tree-lined street for convenient pre-strip mall era shopping.

I think I was the youngest person in the lingerie store by about 20 years, although most of the bra styles in there were very cute and modern - lots of spring and summer patterns for the teen set and up. As always, not in my rather... endowed... size (*cough* 44triple, thankye), but I still could admire, and dream, and yet again feel fat.

Anyway, the shop workers were quite kind and helpful. In less than an hour, I was measured, fitted, and set to go with a little pink bag of underwear, and my huge wedding dress garment bag flung over my shoulder.

And as recommended by many people (both recent brides and bridal shop workers), they're functional but oh-so-not-sexy. Unless you're into girdle-style undershorts with weird stitching swirlies on the stomach and butt to help shape things. Ugly. as. sin. I'd never worn a girdle before. And it has those clipy things on the bottom for thigh-high stockings. Absolutely fascinating. Very weird.

But I have to admit, once I tried my dress on over them (squee! for the very first time), it's amazing the difference they make in shape.

And I may have just found a place to go get bras from now on. I may have trouble finding 44DDD's in the normal stores - including Lane Bryant and the Avenue, I might add (since all of their new trendy bras stop at a DD... bastards).

But here I've found a store that had... in stock... a 50H.

Somehow, I don't think I'll have a problem.

No comments: