03 May 2007

Thursday Thirteen #24 - Yard Stuff

This year, Erich and I have been focusing a bit on the condition of our property. The former owners, due to age and other priorities, didn't do a lot with the yard. Bushes are overgrown, trees need to be hacked back a bit, the grass needs some TLC.

For this Thursday Thirteen, here are plants that I hope to eventually have in our yard, to make things all pretty:

1) Two Japanese Maples - one red leaf, one green leaf, preferably with different textured leaves. They're so delicate and add such a lovely texture to yards, and I love looking up through the leaves of Japanese Maples toward the sky.

2) Magnolia/Tulip Tree - I've heard these called by either name. I'm not sure which is technically correct. But they are absolutely gorgeous when they bloom - almost unreal. Here's a fantastic example: here. I was first introduced to these when I moved to Boston - they line Commonwealth Avenue, and are my favorite part of spring.

3) Wisteria - we have a couple of spots where we could put a lattice arch, and I'd love to train wisteria to coil up and around it. It's such a lovely old-style plant, and when it blooms the scent is fantastic. Dream example link: here.

4) Bleeding Hearts - I grew up with a couple of these beauties in our back yard. One was pure white, the other pink and white. I'd prefer the latter. But I have a great front bed that needs some medium sized, low-maintenance plants. Example: here

5) Oakleaf Hydrangea - I already have two Nikko Blue hydrangeas in my yard (which bloom a lilac color due to my soil acidity). But depending on what we do about the ugly maples along the side of our property that need to be removed... we'll either replace with some trees, or I'd like to plant some of these. They get huge, would provide some great privacy, and look striking even after the flowers fade. I don't think these come in anything but white. Or at least, I've never seen anything but white: Example: here.

6) Flowering Cherry Tree - Another tree I was introduced to when I moved to New England. I particularly like the "Kwanza" style, which has huge mops of flowers hanging below the tree branch. When they're in full bloom, the tree just looks like it's overloaded with flowers. Example: here

7) Azaleas - I lean toward the pink, since it seems most people in my area have the purple ones. But I think an azalea bush would be a nice addition to the front bed that needs planting, too. It would look great against the white clapboards.

8) Daylilies - that aren't the wild tiger-striped ones I currently have taking over my yard. And I'd like some that actually... flower... from time to time. I know there are tons of styles. I'd pick colors and such depending on what else I have flowering over the summer.

9) Traditional spring early bulbs - crocus, daffodils, tulips... I don't have any in my yard. Something to signify the beginning of spring may need to go into the yard. I may even naturalize them into the lawn itself. I've seen a lot of people do that, and it looks great. By the time the lawn needs to be mowed, those flowers (well... maybe not the tulips) are basically done flowering. So you just mow the leftovers, and they come back the next year.

10) Ferns - Again, this depends on what we do with the trees that need to be removed. But if we plant new trees, I'll add ferns under them for groundcover (and to help keep the soil even more damp). We have a small hill by the treeline that the grass doesn't grow on. Ferns will cover up the weird tree root paths and just soften it.

11) Impatiens (yearly) - Lots of little shady nooks in our yard. Impatiens would just look fantastic making the shadows pop with color

12) Raspberries - Erich and I both grew up with raspberry bushes in our backyards. There's nothing quite like just roaming into the yard, plucking berries off of sun-warmed vines, and popping them. And yes, I know you need to watch raspberry bushes like a hawk because they spread like crazy. But I know the perfect spot for them. :)

13) Blueberries - I'd argue that this is probably Erich's favorite food, aside from Swedish meatballs. They never seem to last when you buy them at the store. Having them available for raspberry-like popping would be a great alternative for me. :)

Now of course, this isn't everything that I'd love to have in my yard. Two of my favorites, lilacs and forsythia, aren't included because I already have strong plants in my yard that bloom wonderfully (and are already large and well-established).

No comments: