28 November 2006

Finding my new routine

Yesterday I started my new job. The commute is the same, and so are my hours. I do have to go an extra stop on the commuter rail to South Station (i.e. downtown Boston), so it's throwing off our train schedule a bit now-- we're on the earlier train.

So far, I'm enjoying it. I have a clear sense of what my little administrative department does, which is something I haven't had in six years. There's a well-organized system in place for work requests. It's thankfully been very slow this week, allowing the other two admins I work with to spend a lot of time showing me the programs I'm unfamiliar with, helping me get macros set up on my computer, and finding my way around. I've already completed two fairly large projects on my own, including one that was a "miracle worker" project this morning in Acrobat... so I'm feeling quite good. Tomorrow our group has a massive printing and binding project to do which will probably keep me at work after hours.

But I honestly am looking forward to it-- it's nice to feel like I'm part of a team again. I'd grown so isolated in my old position, and as independent as I am, I really do prefer to at least feel like I'm contributing to a team effort.

My dress code is thankfully virtually the same-- I can't wear jeans or sneakers, but that doesn't concern me at all. I'm just thrilled I don't need to rush out to buy an entirely new wardrobe. What I have will suffice until I get caught up on bills and such after the holidays.

I do have to admit that I miss most of the people I worked with already... but I think a lot of that is due to the familiarity. I traded email addresses with most of the people that I would love to keep in contact with, so I'm not too concerned. And I know I'll see them in about a week when they gather for the monthly social gathering after work.

Only three more days until Holidailies starts. I need to start coming up with writing ideas... anyone have suggestions?

Happy Tuesday...

No comments: