09 August 2006

One Crazy Weekend

As the Year of Weddings continues…

We’re now moving into the season of Frank & Teresa’s (aka “T”) wedding at the end of August. The last weekend of July was T’s bachelorette down in NYC. Unfortunately, I couldn’t attend due to blowing my finances in the Bahamas. But from what I heard, they had a very good time. A quieter surprise "tea for T" event was planned for Sunday, August 5th for a couple hours in the late afternoon, so I didn't feel too bad.

This past Saturday was Frank’s bachelor party. I'd planned to have a very quiet night stitching at home. Erich would be gone for most of the night and quite possibly until just before dawn. Making said plans were my first mistake, of course-- any plans made means that I'm doomed to fail them. (I've learned this about weekends).

At around 5:30, everyone met up in front of Frank & T’s house. The guys were huddled in one group, adding more and more schlock onto Frank’s outfit for the night (complete with Star Wars boxers on the outside of his khaki shorts… and a pink and white boa. Stylin’!). The girls were over on the other side, watching with amusement and a bit of apprehension. Twelve guys hitting Foxwoods for the night. Goddess help us. There were some jokes about everyone making sure their Triple A cards were up to date, since it does state on the back that the company will post up to a $500 bond. Was that joking? Well...

...


yes. we'll assume it's joking. Hopefully. Maybe.

Anyway… the guys finally leave, partially in their rented limo and partially in a car that had to follow behind (due to the party size). All of the girls decide to head out for a relaxing dinner together in the city. Despite living in Providence now for a year, I honestly haven't gone out to too many places to eat. So I decide that well, sure. Why not? A couple of the girls wanted to try a place called Big Fish, so we headed down there. It wound up being in the really weird part of Providence-- an area that's not quite downtown, not quite by the docks, and not quite in the medical district. Lots of smaller warehouses. The building that housed the restaurant looks like it was originally some sort of car repair place-- the front windows looked exactly like the huge sliding garage doors you see at Jiffy Lube. To our surprise, there were a LOT of little bars and restaurants in that neighborhood. I am intrigued.

Dinner was great. We had yummy drinks. The food was excellent. The company was a ton of fun. We chatted all evening, and despite constantly feeling like the awkward n00b that I always feel in social situations, I had a good time. After dinner, I was feeling pretty tired, so I bowed out to head home, get the laundry done I wanted to do, and try to get some stitching done. The rest of the girls went back to T's and watched cheesy movies.

I threw my load of laundry in, threw a load of dishes in the dishwasher, and plunked myself on the couch with Apache Wedding Blessing to get some work done against a backdrop of Law & Order. I plodded slowly through some corrections and the finishing touches on the left bottom corner for about three hours.

Sometime just before two a.m., my brain cried Uncle. I headed up to bed, making sure that I left the back walkway lights on for a stumbling Erich. My brain finally let me fall asleep sometime around 4 a.m.

At about quarter to seven, Noby crawled up on the bed and started his morning rub & flop routine on my head to get love and playtime. Unfortunately, my brain decided I was getting up. (dammit) And wait a minute-- Erich's not in bed. Maybe he crashed downstairs? Nope. Didn't come home. Well, he hasn't called-- so I'm going under the assumption he's okay and asleep somewhere, or still sitting at the blackjack table in Foxwoods.

Around 10 a.m., I finally hear from him-- the guys all wound up at Chris & Sara's house around 3:30 or so, but no one was sober enough to think about driving. (well... good!) But now they're all up and hungry and everyone's going to breakfast. I'm a little concerned because I'm envisioning a party of 10-14 people trying to get into brunch at that hour on a Sunday morning... but okay, fine. I'm not going to be anti-social.

It wound up working well. Brunch turned into a shopping trip to the mall to keep T busy, and then we all brought T over to Sara's house that afternoon for tea. :) She was surprised. It wound up being a very relaxing afternoon. Sara is a wonderful hostess, and the table spread looked absolutely lovely. The guys, fearful of all of the estrogen in the house, headed a couple blocks away to one of the other houses to play D&D all afternoon.

The entire crew got together again around 7:30 p.m. for a huge family-style take-out Thai dinner. By 9 p.m., people were fading fast... and Erich and I said goodnight. I think we were in bed only an hour later.

It was a very fun and tiring weekend. I admit I'm a bit stressed and overwhelmed because I did barely anything on my "to do" list... but I had a good time. I will, however, be playing anti-social at least one weekend this month so I can have some quiet time to get shit done. :)

No comments: