08 March 2006

Knitty Witch

Miracle of miracles, this klutzy witch seems to be able to make sense of the spikey sticks with yarn. It's very, very strange.

But oh so cool.

Every Tuesday at lunch, a group of my coworkers gets together in the cafeteria for an hour stitch 'n bitch. Until this week, I brought my cross-stitching. I'm getting so obnoxiously close to finishing The Castle that I've been pushing myself... and the group was a great motivator.

But last week, I sensed that I needed to step away from my dragon for a little while. I need a recharge before I can go gungho on it again sometime next week and quite possibly FINISH all of the cross-stitches.

So this Tuesday, I brought in a skein of yarn and some #11 needles that have been sitting quietly among my stash, waiting to be picked up. I bought it over a year ago when I saw the "clearance" sale at Michaels for a learn-to-knit kit. The yarn is a beautiful denim-like purple color made by Lion Brand, and I have two skeins of it.

Ellen, with whom I've had many adventures over the years, was happy to teach me. She's considered THE knitter of our office, and it's common to see someone early in the morning or late in the day with needles and yarn coming to her for advice or panicked repair assistance.

I was fubsy with casting on (she does a knit-stitch cast-on) so she did that for me, but after watching her for only a few stitches, she put the needles in my hands. I was very clumsy, but picked it up very quickly. By the end of the lunch hour, I'd knitted my first row.

Since then, I've knitted three more complete rows-- although I'd be closer to six if I hadn't had to pull a couple out for some serious missed stitches. And I really can't believe I waited this long to learn how.

I've got a serious case of "I Made This!" ness this morning. :)

No comments: