21 March 2006

Knitting and stitching finish photos

I promised these the other night... :)

Anyway, as I mentioned a couple weeks ago, I've just recently learned to knit. The piece below is my first set of rows. It's 30 stitches across, and will eventually be a scarf. I thankfully have two full skeins of yarn, or I don't think I'd get much length on it. I love the yarn color. It's a dark lilac purple, but the dye gives it almost a denim look with flecks of the original white showing through. The weight isn't given on the skein wrapper, but it's labelled as a "chunky weight" yarn, made by Lion Brand.



Anyway... it's going well. I'm using #11 needles (that came with the yarn). It will become a big, thick Back Bay Boston wind-beating scarf. :) Hopefully.

I talked to my mom last week, and she's sending me all of my grandmother's knitting supplies at some point soon. My mom knits, but completely forgot about grandma's stuff before she went out to buy her own. I asked if I could have her needles, since as of right now, I only have the size 11 set that came with my beginner kit. I told my mom how, now that I've seen how easily I've taken to basic knitting, I really regret not learning how to knit FROM Grandma. Her needles will definitely be a sentimental piece of my crafting.

Hopefully I'll be able to pass on the teaching years from now. Although if I ever have a daughter, I'll let my mom have the first crack at teaching her. It's definitely a grandma thing. :)

Anyway... my first cross-stitch finish of 2006 is a little piece that I started over New Year's weekend. I wanted to get away from The Castle for a while, so I pulled the freebie kit out of my British stitching mag:



It's a very small piece, and probably only took a bit over 10 hours to do. I stitched it in hand, which was definitely different. I don't have any hoops this small though, so it was a necessity. And, oddly, the pattern called to use only one thread thickness for everything. In hindsight, I think I would have done it with the normal two strand thickness.

I haven't decided how I'll finish it yet, but it'll definitely become some sort of tree ornament, I think.

Stitcher Blogging Questions tomorrow!

~ Mel.

No comments: