28 July 2005

A plethora of stitching stuff...

Yay! I found my uploading cable for the camera. This is a good thing. :) So lots of updates tonight...

First off, I have two weeks of Stitchers Blog Questions to answer... for some reason, I'm not getting the questions in my mailbox, despite being set up for individual mail on the group. Gotta love free email sites. *sigh*

Anyway... July 20, '05: Have you ever done a color conversion? If so, what did you think about your results and would you do it again? If not, would you like to try
someday?
I have not yet done one, but definitely want to. Being a bit isolated in my stitching hobby until this year, I didn't realize it really was possible to do them. But then I saw variants of The Castle by Teresa Wentzler, and absolutely loved them. While I doubt I'll get around to it for many years, I'd love to do a conversion copy of The Castle someday on a dark fabric. At some point, I'll definitely be trying it on some project.

July 27, '05: What is your most unique/interesting stitching quirk? (This could be
something concerning the way you stitch, how you organize your stash, etc.)
Since I really have nothing to compare it to, I'm not quite sure what my most unique quirk is. I suppose in the age of q-snaps and scroll frames, my preference for old-fashioned hoop stitching, perhaps? Or maybe the fact that I almost always stitch patterns upside down, and then flip them right-side up to backstitch (out of instinct). I don't have a real method to my organization yet, given that we've only been in the house for a month. Perhaps I should readdress this question come December or so. :)


Okay... thus endeth the questions for this week... now onto photos of my last rotation, which lasted from March 1st until the end of May... and then I had a "floating" session on The Castle, which lasted all of June.




Egyptian Sampler restart after one rotation. The linen looks a lot better (and more authentic) than my original start. I'll be working on this again come next week. Stitching on extremely uneven linen is tricky, but this piece is going to be worth it when complete!






The Castle after my normal rotation in April, but before the June floating focus. I'm now working on the rocks at the bottom. They dragged on this rotation.






The Castle after the floating focus in June... which included a 10-hour backstitching stretch, plus a lot of little color fill-ins in the rocks. The rocks didn't seem quite as bad this time... but I didn't have a lot of stitching time, either. The rock line is now down to the spine of the dragon tail in a few spots. I'll be completing the rest of the rocks above the dragon tail in my next rotation round.






Cats on a Staircase after work in May. The stairs are the trickiest part, since it's stitching white-on-white. I've been having a ton of problems with miscounts on this piece, and spent a good portion of the last round frogging stitches that I did four years ago. *sigh* Thankfully it didn't destroy the whole piece, but it wasn't fun.






Smoky Mountain Cats after work in May. Stitching this project is easy-- it's large swaths of the same color. However, the thread is craptacular and keeps breaking. And unfortunately no DMC options were given with the kit. So this might wind up being one of those frustration pieces due to the materials.

That's the last rotation round. I started my new rotation on July 15th, and decided to get a couple small pieces into the rotation so I could perhaps see a finish sometime this year. It's a bit disheartening to be in July of these rotations without a complete project to show for it... particularly since I technically haven't had a finish since 1996 (eep!).

So this rotation, I'm doing this:

1) NEW: Elemental Dragons- Fire (Dragon Dreams)
2) Egyptian Sampler (Teresa Wentzler)
3) Cats on a Staircase (Bucilla)
4) NEW: Astrology Sampler (Witches Stitches)
5) The Castle (Teresa Wentzler)
6) Home is Where the Cat Is (Leisure Arts)
7) NEW: Apache Wedding Blessing (Kooler Design Studio)

The last piece is a wedding present for my friend (and sorority sister), Ivanna. It won't be done by her October wedding date... but I'm going to be working as fast as I can on it so she can hopefully have it sometime next spring.

The Elemental Dragons are a freebie set of patterns on Dragon Dreams' homepage (located under samples). I decided to work on the Fire dragon first, but have kitted all five. To my delight, it has stitched up extremely fast. This is eight hours of stitching, as of the end of my commute time tonight:




All of the cross-stitches are done. I'm now doing the backstitching, and should have my first finish by the end of the weekend. (yay!) I'm stitching this on Silkweaver's 28ct. Golden Promise cashel linen. The rest of the dragons will also be on 28 ct. fabric... some evenweave, some linen, but all are Silkweaver.

Onto the next rotation! :)

No comments: