30 July 2005

Busy Friday

After weeks of trying to figure out how to do this, ugotnothin and I finally met yesterday. We were partnered together for a slam swap on one of our yahoolists, and she suggested that it might be the incentive we needed. I agreed.

I had a good time. I hope that she did, too. We chatted for a good portion of the afternoon and did some quick shopping in Downtown Crossing. Since I'm barely tapping into my penpalling and swapping supplies at this point, I just filled up my backpack with slams, and sorted through them to fill the swap I owed her at the table in Borders. That was partially due to the fact that I don't have a lot of address labels at the moment to sign slams, either. (one of those little purchases I need to do one of these days...)

She jumped on the T around 4 because she had evening plans to attend to. Erich wasn't out of work until 5, so I walked over to Chinatown to check my post office box (no mail today) and then walked over to the Boston Common to grab some lemonade and wait for him near the movie theater.

We saw "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" after he got out of work. I'm mixed about it. Some of the things were really good. Some of it were just... eh. Depp's Wonka came off as a bit too Michael Jackson-ish to me, which creeped me out and honestly made me instinctively detach from the movie. I loved the nut room and the great glass elevator. The chocolate river was cool. I guess I just wasn't convinced by a lot of the acting. Seeing the movie stoned might be a better option. From the reaction in the theater, it sounded like a lot of people were feeling the same way. There was a small smattering of applause, but a lot of uncomfortable whispers and mutterings as people left. I think I'd give it a 7 overall. As a Burton movie, it was beautiful to look at, and I honestly loved the background story of Wonka. The acting just.. *shrug*

We hustled over to the commuter rail to catch the 8:20 train back to Providence and got home just before 10. I played Sims. Erich played World of Warcraft.

And life is good.

No comments: