14 July 2006

Rotation planning

Now that I have The Castle out of the way, I'm trying to come up with my new rotation for stitching. All things considered, I haven't really been doing well to make my 2006 stitching goals. But I know why-- World of Warcraft. It's sucked away a ton of my time. For the second half of the year, I want to balance that a bit more.

So, fellow stitchers, I'll give the info that I have on my stitching habits. Please give me any advice you have on making a workable rotation. :)

My rotation history: For 2006, it's been non-existant. I've really only stitched on two pieces all year in a bit of a screaming fashion. In 2005, though, I was a 10 hour minimum stitcher, but would continue for another 10 hours or so on a piece that I found myself motivated to work. I only had a 6 slot rotation, but it would often take me 2-3 months to complete it.

My original goals for 2006: 1) Finish 2 TW's (not going to happen. I finished one. I'm considering this complete.)
2) Finish both wedding samplers (again.. not going to happen... revising to one.)
3) Finish five other pieces (I've finished one other so far.)

Obligations: My biggest obligation is Apache Wedding Blessing, which is a gift for my friend Ivanna. It's currently at about 25% done (not counting backstitching). Ideally, I'd like to finish it for her anniversary the first weekend of October. Realistically, I'm shooting for this Christmas.

I also have signed up for the UFO Round Robin over on Worldwide RR's. That will begin mailing on September 11th, and I'll have six weeks to do approximately 20 hours of stitching on each project before mailing it and receiving the next one. Since I have so many floating in UFO land, I will be selecting one of my Teresa Wentzler pieces to send on this RR. (I'm leaning toward Magical Night).

Non-stitching obligation is to plan my wedding. We are having a more casual wedding, so once I get a place reserved, I should be in good shape. Right now I'm shooting for a spring '07 wedding.

Weekly timeframe: On an average week, I currently do about 10 hours of stitching. If I cut into the WorldofWarcraft addiction a bit, I would add another 3 hours on weekends. :) My stitching time breaks down to about the following:

Weekdays: 1 to 2 hours stitching on the train. Tuesdays at lunch (for office Stitch & Bitch). Rest is in the evenings at home-- about an hour per night.

Weekends: Flexible schedule.

Other UFO/WIPs: None of these are a priority to finish, so they can be added or subtracted to my rotation in whatever fashion. For those not as familiar with the individual pieces, I'm including the size of the piece. If this list doesn't excite you, a (roughly) full list of what I have is here (from the StRIP board).

One TW Piece (currently Egyptian Sampler) - XL piece
Cats on a Staircase (Bucilla) - L piece
Elemental Dragons- fire is done, need the other four (Dragon Dreams) - S piece
Astrology Sampler (Witches Stitches) - M piece
Fantasy Wedding Blessing (Dragon Dreams) - M/L piece
Smoky Mountain Cats (Pegasus) - L piece
Home is Where the Cat Is (Leisure Arts mini) - S piece
Why I Love New England (Sampler Needlework) - XL piece
Leaping Cat (La-D-Da) - M piece
Mirror Mirror (Abbey Lane Designs) - M piece

Things I'd really like to fit into the rotation...: So here are ideas that I'd like to incorporate if possible...

1) A focus on Apache to get it done
2) A backstitching slot, for both Apache and TW's
3) Some way to fit the RR in... Rose on the rotation board suggested a Sunday/Wednesday RR slot.
4) A definite TW slot-- I have a ton of her pieces I want to do, so I need to have one going in every rotation
5) A definite cat-related piece slot, for the same reason

Other than that, the pieces I work, the number of pieces, etc. is completely open...

So... whatcha think? :)

No comments: