16 September 2005

Off to Maine

After work today, Erich and I are heading up to Maine for the weekend to visit his mom. We haven't been able to get up there since Easter, so it's long overdue. I'm leaving work early to catch the Commuter Rail up to Newburyport, Mass. Erich's working in Westboro this week, so he'll drive up and meet me there, and we'll continue up I-95.

Autumn has officially welcomed itself into New England with a combination of heavy downpours and that annoying misting rain that soaks everything, regardless of umbrella usage. It's grey, dreary, but it signals that the weather is going to cool down, so I'll take it. I just hope that it isn't this damp up in Maine, because that implies a lot of mud on the ground to trudge through.

We had some heavy flooding near the house yesterday from the downpours. Parts of Cranston had water flooding up to the lower edge of car windows on Oaklawn Street. Our house was fine. We had some mud rivers from the off-flow on our driveway, and some water seeped along the floor in our garage. But otherwise, things are fine. It rained VERY heavily at home yesterday-- almost 2.5 inches in less than 90 minutes. And Ophelia may bring more this weekend. I'm a bit concerned, but by all of the estimates, it's not going to hit us head-on. We're fairly above sea-level for Rhode Island, so we should be okay. I imagine we'll have a few more problems with the garage, though.

Leaves are starting to turn here and there. A couple trees in Copley Square seem to have noticably changed over the past two days. They are nearly half yellow/orange already. I don't remember them being that way on Monday, when I was sitting under them. What a difference a few days make! I wonder if it'll be a bright autumn this year...

Back to work so I can run away early!

No comments: