07 September 2005

I may complain, but sometimes my company absolutely rocks

They're focusing on the very spot of this whole tragedy where it makes more than perfect sense for us to make a difference...

They're opening a disaster fund starting with $500,000. They will match all donations to it or any other related charity we choose. We can arrange for it to be taken out of our paychecks directly if we wish, or write a check, wire money, etc.

They're focusing the company's disaster fund on helping the schools and students recover-- to rebuild, to help schools taking in the displaced students, etc. Educational supplies are now on their way to Texas, and they're coordinating with other school districts to do supply drives, replace textbooks, and help as needed. Divisions of higher-ed will be doing the same on its level, the trade publishing division is sending books to the the temporary shelters. Other divisions will help the Red Cross with behind the scenes work at the call centers.


I'm thrilled that my company has taken this approach, and focused on an area - education - where it can make a direct impact. While I am donating some time (and little blood bits) to the Red Cross in the next several weeks, I think I will focus my monetary donations in that direction to help give these kids some shred of normal life as soon as possible. AND it makes much more sense to take the opportunity to have my donation doubled.

I'm rather proud of my company today. :)

No comments: