22 February 2007

Stitching Blog Questions - Catchup

Why yes... I *am* still stitching these days. 100% of it has been on round robin pieces. My own projects haven't been touched since October or so. I'm really not happy about that, but I made committments to these RRs, and until they're finished in the next couple of months... I'll just have to deal.

Anyway, I haven't answered SBQ's since early December, so it's time to catch up. :)

12/14/06 - Do you have any good internet links to tutorials for your favorite finishing techniques that you would like to share?

I rely on asking folks on the various stitching message boards about their experiences and recommendations. Those "in the know" tend to be better at expanding on explanations on how to do things, including those little tricky points that you're better off knowing before you start (that tutorials sometimes forget to mention).

1/10/07 - Do you dream of running your own LNS/ONS? If so, tell us about your dream. If not, tell us about your cross stitch dream… maybe you dream of designing, dyeing your own floss or fabric, etc.

Note for non-stitchers... LNS = Local Needlework Shop. ONS = Online Needlework Shop

I've had the fleeting dream of owning my own stitching shop. But I'd make a horrible store owner/manager, so reality squashes that idea very quickly in my mind.

I do have some ideas for creating patterns... and I think I could be very good at that, actually. It's simply a time issue. I don't have it, and if I were to create a pattern, I'd like it to be good.

1/17/07 - Have you had a happy dance yet this year? If so, tell us about it! (Or just point to the entry that talks about it.) If not, when do you predict it will be?

As of this past Sunday... yes! For the Floral RR, I completed my flower. It's a portion of a lovely cat-with-flower pattern, and was fun to stitch. I've taken a picture of it... should have it up this weekend.

I can't make an estimate for a finish in my own pieces yet, sadly. Everything's contingent on wedding planning.

1/24/07 - What company produces your favorite hand-dyed fabric? Are there any companies whose hand-dyed fabric you do not like? If so, why?

Silkweaver so far is my favorite. I was on their fabric of the month list for a while... and will join up again after the wedding. I love the variety.

I've also received fabrics from a company called Dyed-4-U that had a montly fabric pull for a while. I think they've gone on-hold or out of business, though. I liked their fabrics, but they didn't have quite the range that Silkweaver did for colors.

I've yet to buy from Sugar Maple Fabrics. Again-- will do once I get past the wedding and can justify expenses. :)

I haven't found a company I don't like, though.

2/7/07 - Have you ever been to a stitching retreat?

No, but I really want to! The Hershey retreat is the closest to me that I know of, and is probably the most likely candidate for me to attend.

2/14/07 - Do you like to buy "chartpacks" that include charms, buttons, and/or beads or do you prefer to gather all materials yourself?

If it's a pattern that comes with weirdly shaped buttons or charms, I do prefer chart packs. One of my local LNS's, Hoops and Needles does great little chart packs with the pattern and buttons. Things that only need basic beads (Mill Hill, for example), I really could care less either way. I'd buy it for the convenience, I suppose. When it comes to charts vs. kits with fabric & threads, though, I'd prefer to buy on my own so I can make sure I get the better quality fabric & thread.

2/21/07 - What is the smallest count fabric you have ever used? Did you stitch over one? Conversely, what is the largest count fabric you have ever used?

The smallest count fabric is one of my current projects-- I'm stitching on 32 count. It does have some over-one (which is why I asked for, and received, an Ott Crafting light w/magnifier for Christmas). I have a couple pieces of 36 count fabric in my stash, but I don't have projects lined up for them yet.

The largest count I can recall using is 14 count. I don't think I've ever done anything on anything bigger. I learned on 14 count Aida when I was 10, so *shrug*.

for my non-stitching readers... fabric count = stitching squares per inch. 32 count fabric = 32 squares per inch. "Larger" counts are actually smaller numbers because each individual square is larger. Also-- a stitch on 14 count fabric is nearly identical to a stitch on 28 count fabric. On 14 count, you stitch within one square. On 28, you stitch over two.

No comments: