26 April 2006

An Update: not braces, but dentures

Colley is now home, somewhat groggy, and puttering around. The vet recommended isolating him to watch his food and water intake-- but so far, he really hasn't eaten much, and hasn't touched the water. He seems a bit too out of it. We're keeping an eye out, but it seems like he mostly just wants to wander around and do his normal house rounds-- it's apparently a Norwegian Forest Cat trait (and one that Colley definitely does).

He did have to have one tooth extracted-- his top right canine. Apparently it was loose--essentially no longer secure in the root bed. So one way or another, it was going to come out. So he's now officially a snaggletooth. However, the interesting thing is that aside from the little incisors in the front that he's lost (out of the twelve he should have, he's lost eight), he also had lost both of the top teeth on the outside of each canine already.

My cat doesn't need braces-- he's heading for dentures.

Once I heard the news this afternoon, I was feeling horribly guilty. I kept telling myself I was a bad mother-- how could I let my cat get to the point that he had to have teeth extracted? But both Erich and the vet assistant told me I had no concerns. And THEN... a series of phone calls came in-- and the vet assistant proved my point.

One caller had a kitten-- treated at another vet-- that apparently was constipated. The owner wondered if it should be put down (!!!).

Another cat owner called because there was a tick who'd lodged onto the cat, and the owner wasn't sure what to do (um-- take the tick off. If the head doesn't come with it, then take it to the vet!)

Another caller had a dog which had an antique bow AND arrow lodged in its mouth, and the owner wondered if he'd have to get stitches-- and did it need to see a vet.

I shit you not.

I feel sad for my oldest furball, but I realize that I'd be a bad mother if I'd just let his teeth rot and not do a damn thing. :( I'm feeling like Cat Mother of the Year after those calls.

No comments: