13 February 2006

Ugh, annoyed

I found out this morning that Diary-X crashed soundly sometime over the weekend. Apparently Stephen, who is the owner of the service, hadn't backed up the server since December 2004. But the kicker is that I'd originally planned to move everything over here into archives. But I'd never gotten around to downloading a backup.

It's my own damn fault for not backing up my own journal, of course. I do have back to January 2003, because I was cross-posting to LiveJournal at that point. And I thought I was safe because I *had* kept a backup at Diaryland.-- but it crashed hard at some point-- and everything prior to 2004 is gone there. (whee).

So at this point, unless I do have a weird backup somewhere on my computers at home, everything from 2001 and 2002 is gone. It sucks, because I'm pretty sure I'd saved the very first email from Erich there (also known as the "how we met" story). But again-- it's my own damn fault for not backing it up.

Edited to Add: D-X is still down, but my backup is intact at Diaryland. I'm sure that I'm missing a few entries here and there that I wrote but never actually linked to my journal. But for the most part, everything's been located in working order. Archiving and backup-ing will be a pet-project for the week and weekend.

I have been meaning to make a complete archive on measi.net anyway-- this is the swift kick in the ass I needed.


Le sigh.

Erich also had a DX journal that he didn't use as much... it's probably completely gone.

I can be a bit annoyed with Stephen for not doing a complete site backup since December 2004. Oddly, though, I'm not that surprised for an unknown reason, though. Perhaps it's my memory of what happened with Nervousness under his care. (which is why I'd switched a copy to Diaryland, BTW)

It sucks... but what can you do?

~ Mel.

No comments: