13 February 2008

WoW quest weirdness

*gasp* Not fandom! Well... perhaps it is. Just - alternative fandom.

And because it's going to be Greek (Tauren? Orcish?) to anyone who doesn't play World of Warcraft... I'll be a bit careful to explain things as necessary.

So my first character ("main"), Tennetty, is a happy level 70 Tauren hunter - max level you can have. But there's still plenty of stuff to do once you HIT that level. Literally it's like playing an entirely different game - the one to get you there, and then all of the stuff you do once you're there (group battles, advanced quests, daily quests, etc.).

Said level 70 game was put on hold until after the wedding because I just didn't have time to devote to it. Now that the wedding is behind me, I've been thoroughly enjoying blowing off steam and just killing time playing WoW. Got through all of my required quests that unlock some of the advanced stuff - and now I'm happily doing the 10-man raid instances with my guild. Until this week, my current weaponry/armor really only allowed me to do the first half of our current raid instance. This week, I was able to join the group for the latter tier. So I'm having a blast - getting some good gear, discovering gorgeous new places (really - one of my favorite things about WoW is just how beautiful the game world is... I can just go exploring and have a great time sight-seeing!)

This week, I was scheduled to run Karazhan both last night and tomorrow. Had some problems with my login, so my spot last night went to one of the other hunters in the guild - someone who hadn't been to Kara. People were all worried when I logged on, and I said no - it's cool. Get someone else geared. I'll bring Tennetty over to the front gates and leave her there in case someone needs to leave and you need a spot filled. But it was seriously no problem. At this point, I'd honestly prefer to be able to try the Thursday night session, since it's almost all new to me.

So I park Tennetty, log onto one of my lower-level alt characters, Kelima - a Troll Warrior - to do some questing/levelling. joined me on a hunter alt alt of similar level, and we cleared out a couple quests. I emphasize couple, because one specific quest took us nearly an hour because the drop rate on the items we needed to collect was so bad.

and here's where the WoW experienced will know what I'm referring to a bit better...

So bad, in fact, that even with the two of us sharing the kill XP, I managed to completely wrap around my XP bar 1.5 times. DURING THE QUEST. I started at level 23 last night. Levelled upon turning in a quest to start the evening. Then we go do this quest in the Barrens (collecting three weapons, killing three named Quilboars in the Barrens... mid 20's level). I wrap around, level, run out of rest XP as I'm still gaining XP - and then upon turning in the other completed quests in my log last night (I hadn't turned in for a while - I had nine to turn in!) - I'm now 3/4 the way to the NEXT level.

IN ONE THREE HOUR SESSION OF WOW.

All the while both of us are having to constantly throw out food, grey items, etc. out of our bags because they're now constantly full, but we're far enough away from town that neither of us really wants to run to just clear out bags.

Seriously... WTF? Not that I'm complaining (other than regarding the drop rate of those effing weapons)... but insane.

So yeah, with really only about 5 hours of play time, i've gone from level 21 to nearly 26 with Kelima this week. Not too shabby.

Of course, now she's out of rest XP, so I'll have her parked at the inn for a couple days to recharge. I need to work on my pet with Tennetty - I've been neglegent about feeding Mousedeath lately. I've had him since level 28, and recently his loyalty is back down to 3. Not good.

Never piss off a cat. Even in WoW.

*sigh*

Thus ends my geekdom for the day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hah Tenn, what quest was it?

Blizzard devs have openly admitted that there are some quests put into the game in the hopes that players will grind out levels. This is done, usually in the mid level range (such as 23 to 26) where there are a lack of level specific quests. Thats why there are so many "Go kill 50 of these and 20 of these, oh and be sure to pick up 25 of this rare item while you are at it" quests.

Bottom Line: Blizz is lazy when it comes to mid level quests.

Best you can do is what you did: find someone to share the pain with lol

Cheers!
-Abba (aka Orynn)

Measi said...

Orynn! Hello fellow guildie!

The two we were working on in tandem were Betrayal From Within and Weapons of Choice.

The weapon quest was the shitty one. But hey, I did get nearly two levels out of it! :)