09 March 2007

The update...

Erich came home yesterday. Although I'm a bit concerned about that decision, I can recognize that he just needed to be in familiar surroundings to start the grieving process. He told me that if his mom were conscious, he'd have decided differently. But he feels there's nothing he can do there, and I think he needs to retreat for a while.

The doctors called Erich early this morning and asked him permission to remove his mom's ventilator. They believe it's the only thing keeping her alive at this point. Her lungs are failing, her heart is failing, and her kidneys have shut down.

Erich gave them permission, of course. There's no reason to prolong her life at this point with artificial means. Her body is not responding to any treatment. They still can't find the source of the infection that has caused her sepsis. The fluids via IV are just pooling.

Nature will take over and decide as it will.

Erich wanted to be alone today, so I'm at work. I drove in to make sure I had full control over my departure from Boston (i.e. not relying on train schedules) when the call comes.

So yeah... that's where things stand.

*sigh*

No comments: