25 May 2006

Mom's 60th

It's been a while since my last post, I know. For some reason, I'm always very quiet in the spring as far as blog writing is concerned. I suppose it's because I have some odd burst of energy that makes me want to go do things... but this year, it's honestly just because my brain is going twenty places at once and I hardly know what day of the week it is.

This past weekend Erich and I did the road trip down to Easton, Pennsylvania to visit my mom. Her 60th birthday was last week, and I promised her that I'd be down to see her as a combined Mother's Day/birthday thing. What she didn't know was that Jim (her boyfriend) had called me a month ago and let me know that there would be a surprise party that weekend, too.

The driving was uneventful. A bit of traffic (what is it with New Haven?!?) and lots of rainshowers, but nothing major. The drive is so much nicer now that we're in Rhode Island-- it took nearly two hours off the trip, just by our highway access.

Two of Mom's close friends from California had flown into town, too. This didn't raise any suspicion since I've often shared trips to PA with them. The house was very cozy-- Erich and I took over Mom's room. Her friends had the other two bedrooms. Mom got comfy down on her new couch, surrounded by cats and the doggie.

The party itself was fantastic. My uncle and Jim had invited nearly 70 people. It was a big, loud house party. My uncle hosted the thing-- he has the perfect house for it-- complete with a beautiful full bar in the basement, pool table, and tons of different nooks to chat with people. He wisely hired a catering service to serve as waitstaff and a bartender.

Erich and I served as designated drivers for the evening. We both had a couple drinks first thing so we didn't feel like we were completely left out, but I'm glad we decided to volunteer. People definitely needed the help home.

We drove back Sunday after helping Jeanne and Dee get to the bus to the Newark airport. But before we left, Erich had to take some yard pictures. I WANT MY MOM'S YARD!!!



Time for bed. More soon!

No comments: